HCBU for Life: A Call to Action
Alpha Kappa Alpha will continue its focus on education with an emphasis on historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs).
• Chapters will promote and market historically black colleges and universities and encourage students to attend HBCUs as a sustainability measure. Activities will include researching and publishing information regarding prominent Alpha Kappa Alpha women and other notable individuals who attended HBCUs.
• Recognizing that HBCU funding is one of the primary obstacles that threaten the long-term growth and survival of HBCUs, members will be encouraged to financially support HBCUs. Alpha Kappa Alpha will implement an AKA HBCU Endowment Initiative in partnership with EAF, in which an endowed scholarship will be established at each accredited four-year HBCU. The goal is to stamp the Alpha Kappa Alpha brand of financial support on each HBCU campus to help students remain in school, complete their course of study, and receive their college degrees.
Signature Program: #CAPSM
Alpha Kappa Alpha will assist students as they seek admission to college by providing guidance and support in completing the application and enrollment process through the 2018-2022 Signature Program, #CAPSM.
Too many African-American high school students lack the basic support needed to navigate through the college admissions process. Through #CAPSM, chapters will partner with local high schools and youth groups to bridge the gap between high school and college by demystifying the college application and enrollment process. This educational initiative will extend to all colleges and universities, both HBCUs and non-HBCUs.
#CAPSM is a step-by-step approach to facilitate college admission from researching various institutions and submitting applications through completion of the enrollment process. Chapters will assist students in completing college applications, preparing for the ACT and SAT, writing compelling personal statements, identifying scholarships and other financial aid, and compiling a portfolio to track college admission results. Through #CAPSM, Alpha Kappa Alpha will improve the trajectory of the lives of talented young people by increasing their potential for success and laying the foundation for positive, productive, and fulfilling lives.
Alpha Kappa Alpha will emphasize financial planning, asset accumulation, and wealth building including savings and investments, managing debt, and improving credit.
• Personal Financial Planning and Asset Accumulation. Financial
Freedom Legacy Workshops will be conducted in partnership with local certified financial planners who will share information on saving, investing, and retirement planning. Chapters will train community residents on ways to perform financial assessments to achieve their financial goals.
• Credit Repair and Monitoring. This initiative will focus on ways to repair credit and improve credit scores including how to check for inaccurate or outdated information in credit reports, and how to protect against both identity theft and unauthorized credit history use.
• Entrepreneurship and the Black Dollar 365. This initiative will highlight and promote successful African-American owned businesses with an aim toward spawning new entrepreneurial ventures in our communities by encouraging intentional support and leveraging the power of the black dollar 365 days a year.
• Operation AKA Assist. This initiative will focus on implementing programs to assist those in need in various communities by directing attention to the plight of the homeless, including homeless children, and homeless veterans. Chapters will partner with or adopt a shelter, a transitional home or an organization that provides assistance to these needy populations.